Tuesday 12 April 2011

ARGO Online Review

ARGO Online by Burda:ic hit open Beta recently, so I took the opportunity to try it.  For those of you not familiar with the title, ARGO online is a post-apocalyptic style MMORPG merging steam punk with fantasy.   It will be free to play and you will be able to download it from www.alaplaya.net.  

I was actually excited to try this game.  It takes place after World War IV and the planet has been decimated.  Nature has risen up to cleanse the earth of anything “damaging” to it.  Our first faction, the Floresslah, believe the only way to live on this planet is to live in harmony with nature.  Our second faction: The Noblians, believe the world will only be whole again through the uses of technology.  Each faction has eight classes to choose from, and each class is gender specific. 

1.  The Taurus (male):  A guardian class, quickly dispatches their enemies using a long spear, but have little defence.  

2.  The elementalist (female):  Considered a mage class, she duel wields pistols dealing high nature damage. 

3.  The shaman (female):  Can summon monsters but also can be used as a support class.  

4.  The Sagittarius (male):   The assassin class using long ranged weapons to take out enemies from a distance. 

5.  The Warlock (female):  Another mage class, she uses heavy weapons to take out multiple enemies.

6.   The Druid (female):   Can summon monsters and is considered a recovery class. 

7.  The Rogue (male):   Deals fast damage with duel wielded swords. 

8.  The Defender (male):   The tanking class, he is pretty straight forward.

I thoroughly enjoyed the character creation screen.  Even though the classes were gender specific there were still quite a few ways to personalize your character.  There are 9 different faces to choose from and 12 different hair styles.  You can change your skin and hair color to anything you want.  For example blue skin and green hair in the tone of your choosing.  You can change the sizes of pretty much your entire body, head, shoulders, bust, ankles, the list really does go on.  As well you can go in and personally change your facial features in the same manner: larger eyebrows, smaller mouth, etc.  You then get a choice of 4 outfits that you can mix and match. 

Now is where the game became a huge disappointment for me.  There is no inverted y-axis.  I cannot actually play this game.  Believe me I tried.  I got to level  5, but it took me a week.  It’s 2011, there really is no reason to leave out any key function anymore.  I had such a hard time trying to control my character I couldn’t pay attention to storyline and just became frustrated. 

At this point I wouldn’t recommend this game to anyone, but I urge you to tell me what you may have thought about it.  Leave your comments below or follow me on twitter @akadarcee.  I have a few projects I’ll be working on; quite a few games hit open beta this week, and I’ve been invited to a few closed betas, so I guess it will be a surprise.   

No comments:

Post a Comment