Wednesday 27 March 2013

Gaming News!!

I'm really not going to keep to any kind of schedule, but I would like to start posting a weekly mash-up of interesting news worthy stories.  So... here we go.

Another SWTOR Server Merger



Only this time the Asian servers are merging with the American servers.  Bioware community manager, Eric Musco stated that the decision was guided by community feedback. "One common theme from suggestions, which we heard clearly, is that everyone wants the opportunity to play on higher populated servers.  With this in mind, we have evaluated all the options and determined that the best solution, that will offer the best long term play experience, is to merge the APAC servers with higher populated North American Servers."  No date has been announced for when the merge will happen.  

Square-Enix CEO Yoichi Wada Is Stepping Down


Remember those days where a new title was announced and you knew it was going to be good because you saw the name Square-Enix.  Well things have very much changed in the last few years, with the problems that Final Fantasy XIV brought them and how Tomb Raider and Hitman: Absolution did not meet their sales "expectations."  Square Enix CEO Yoichi Wada is stepping down after thirteen years with the company.    So what's next for Square Enix?  Twelve year Square Enix employee, Yosuke Matsuda, will be taking his place and hopefully the company will be getting an over-haul.

 Counter-Strike Map Resembles A BC School


It's the same story.  We have a massive tragedy and the finger pointing begins.  If its not guns then it must be video games.  But, I'm choosing to not debate this , instead I'm going to tell you about a counter-strike map that was made resembling Port Moody Secondary School in British Columbia, Canada.  While there are no students or teachers being killed it still feels a little wrong to me.  I don't know if its because the map looks so close to the actual school or if its because the Sandy Hook Elementary shooting is still fresh in my mind.  The map's developer has stated that he was working on this project before the December 14th incident and that there are dozens of counter-strike maps that are other schools.   "Port Moody Secondary is a great school. We certainly did not single it out for malicious reasons. . . . Its architecture and design is rather ideal for the game’s tactics,” the developer says.   During a time where violent video games are again being questioned, something like this feels like its just "fanning the flames."  I want to know what you think, debate it out in the comments below.

PAX East Highlights


PAX East was this week, March 22nd - 24th, and there were tons of announcements and highlights.  While I didn't get to go (stupid passports), here's some of the announcements that excited me.  Bioware announced that they are making a new fictional universe.   What do we know about it?  Very little, actually.  I'll try and keep you posted as more news surfaces.  Diablo 3 is coming to PS3 & PS4.  Most everyone had already heard that, but there we go it's been announced.  I personally found Diablo 3 fun, but boring at the same time.  I beat it once and never played it again.  The idea, however, of being able to sit on the couch and play it with four of my console gaming friends is kind of intriguing.   Blizzard announced their secret project that was not a sequel, expansion, or the rumoured Titan project.  While I was really hoping to see Blizzard All Stars, the announcement they made was just as exciting.  It's almost what I call a "guilty pleasure" game.  You will be able to play the Warcraft trading cards game on your PC, Mac, and iPad.  I will be doing a full write up of everything we know on this because there is just too much for right here.  Capcom, I think, surprised everyone by announcing the return of... Ducktales!!  While similar to the Nintendo version, you are Scrooge McDuck and you are working your way around the world treasure hunting.  My son is going to play the crap out of this game!!  Again, I will keep you posted as more information surfaces.

That's it for this week.  If you have any comments please leave them below.  Don't forget to follow me on twitter @akadarcee.  I've slowly begun to stream a little more over at twitch.tv/akadarcee and some of highlights are being uploaded to youtube.com/akadarcee, so don't forget to subscribe to those.  I just, just made a facebook page, which is pretty empty right now, so head over there and give me a like facebook.com/akadarcee.  I also really appreciate it if you have a story you want me to cover.  Get a hold of me on twitter, facebook, or send me an email akadarcee@gmail.com.  Thanks for reading guys!!

No comments:

Post a Comment