Wednesday 27 March 2013

Broken Realm: A Crystal Saga Chronical


  Is it just me, or does it feel like all these “new” browser based MMO's are just the same thing over and over again? I'm at a point where I'm barely paying attention to the dialogue/story anymore. I just don't care. It looks the same and it feels the same.

  So, let's take a look at Broken Realm by R2games. I had never even heard of this game until I was searching through a list of open betas I'd like to try and the name caught my eye. I scanned their page and really found no information on what the game was about. The most I got from it was that Broken Realm is a medieval-fantasy MMORPG. Upon searching through other pages and scanning other peoples reviews, I now know that it is a follow up to Crystal Saga: Origins. To briefly sum it up, the beloved Queen has died and we now have a new King. We join his army and work our way up to find out everything is not as it seems. I made it 11 minutes in.
  Now, don't get me wrong. I have full intentions of playing this game and getting further in. You never know, it could get better.

  But, lets forget about my whining and complaining and lets talk game features. Character creation is mediocre, but was exactly what I expected for the type of game. Each class is pre-made. You just click on what you want to be and that is who you are, no custom made dilly-dallying. There are four classes: Barbarian, Archer, Paladin, and Mage, and you can choose to be male or female. I chose to try the paladin.
  The graphics are 2.5D, which has been feeling like the trend for browser based games. While I tend to enjoy a more cartoony style, as opposed to realistic graphics, this style of game tends to bore me. I really don't feel like I'm part of the game.

  Autopathing!! I've played other games where autopathing felt all right. I could chat on the phone and still quest. I never felt like I was missing out on any story and I still felt involved. In Broken Realm it does not feel right. I think this is because you begin with autopathing already turned on. So, I get into the game and my character is running from quest giver to quest giver and I barely know what's going on. Yes, you can turn it off and I eventually did. As it turns out, you only get one hour of autopathing (as a free to play player).
  Combat is pretty straight forward and probably the most fun for me. I just pointed and clicked and my character did the rest, alternating between my various abilities. Before I knew it, I was level 5 and had no idea how I got there. After a bit of research, I discovered that Broken Realm has a high experience gain, so levelling does go by quite quickly. There are dungeons available to explore and I hope to give them a try in the near future. Same goes for their PVP.

  What did I enjoy? The music!! It really made the game feel like the medieval-fantasy game it is supposed to be. Not once did I feel the need to turn it off or down a little. While it's not something I'm going to listen to all day, I definitely didn't need to pull up iTunes.
  Should you play it? It's free to play, so its not like you'll be out anything but your time. Personally, from what I've read about where the story will take us, I really want to keep my eyes on this game. Perhaps, a few changes will be made that will keep my attention.
  If you would like to keep up on any of my reviews, blogs, or just want to hang out then you need to subscribe. Follow me on twitter: @akadarcee, youtube.com/akadarcee, twitch.com/akadarcee and I now have a Facebook page that is pretty dead right now facebook.com/akadarcee. Hopefully, I will be posting, streaming, and making a lot more content for you guys. Thanks for reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment