Tuesday 17 May 2011

Backyard Monsters Review

All right guys, I decided this week I would do something a little bit different and review some "guilty pleasure" games (as I call them).  These are small games found on social networks like FaceBook that many people do not want to admit they play (or like them).  This weeks "guilty pleasure" game is "Backyard Monsters" by Critters.  It is a strategy game allowing you to build the best (and well defended) monster city... while destroying other people's cities.
First off, Backyard Monsters is not like most FaceBook games (relying on your friends to play in order to advance); although friends can help you with reducing your upgrading times and can send you gifts.  You do have the option (like most FaceBook games) to buy the "special currency."  Backyard Monsters uses "shiny's" as their currency.  You can pick mushrooms around your backyard (I guess that's what it would be called) and have a chance at finding shiny's, or you can just buy them.







Shiny's are used for buying your grunt workers, increasing your building area, finishing upgrades or buildings, or buying special decorations to customize your backyard.
Once logging in you begin the tutorial.  You have one worker and a few buildings.  The tutorial explains about collecting resources, upgrading buildings (using shiny's to make upgrading instant), building new buildings (using shiny's to make building instant), being attacked, defending and how to strike back, and making new monsters.  By the time the tutorial is done you will be level 5 and will have 7 days of protections from any enemy player's attacks to build your city, prepare defenses, and build an army.  If you decide to attack anyone before your protection is up you will lose that protection.

Backyard Monsters is definitely a game to check out.  I find myself playing it Tuesday morning while WoW server's are down or sometimes to pass the time on those long flights across Azeroth.  I find myself building the best army I can possibly build to destroy other people's cities (taking their recourses for my own).  Definitely a rainy day boredom filler.

Tell me what your "guilty pleasure" game is or what you think with comments below or follow me on twitter @akadarcee.  I will be back on Thursday with my "Tidbits of Interest."

No comments:

Post a Comment